Thursday, July 16, 2009

Venice! the city on the sea..

I wanted to start my blog with a place in my home country, Indonesia, but unluckily I couldn't find out in which external hard disk I put the folders of my trip in Java and Sulawesi. So, I would start with one of the cities I love the most: Venice! Yea, I took this trip years ago back when I was an exchange student, visited Venice along with other European cities. This city has impressed me so much, though it was only a day trip. My journey started from Milan, taking a train trip for Venice. It was cloudy but I really got this romantic atmosphere, so mellow with gray sky, the sea and the gondolas. Everything was "floating", the old flats, cathedrals, and even the "bus stop". Well it's not really a bus, but a boat stop. haha.


The floating bus stop in Venice, extraordinary!

It's very nice to see there is a city on the sea with all the dense buildings touching each other very beautifully. The waterway is also fascinating, they even arrange the usual street regulation in every alleyway.


a-one-way waterway with a strict regulation of 5 km per hour speed.


no entry!

Venice is full of Venetian style landmarks that were built years ago. These buildings were many times threatened by wars and sinking problem, but fortunately the Napoleon's war is over and the government of Italy has managed to deal with the sinking problem and guarantees that these treasury human masterpieces will no longer threatened, thanks to the inflatable gates and water pumps!


a beautiful Venetian style landmark that I don't even know the name.


Santa Maria della Salute from different sides.

My favorite point in Venice is absolutely the Piazza San Marco where I can found the tall Campanile and Basilica San Marco.


both landmarks from Piazza San Marco.

I never expected to have a great atmosphere in the Piazza along with other people surrounded by pigeons. Great views from the top of the Campanile are too precious to be missed. I was super fascinated by the shiny orange clay roof tiles all over Venice!


Heading Southwest: people and pigeons hanging out together in Piazza San Marco.


Heading Northeast: the roof of Basilica San Marco.


Heading Southeast: Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore.

Not to be forgotten the unique culture of Venice which interest me much. I did not expecting to find so many Venetian masks being sold on the street. It was unique, I wish I could visit Venice once again during the Carnival of Venice, when those masks are worn.


Venetian masks being sold on the street.

One more thing is unique about Venice is its Gondola. Too bad I was not so interested to jump in by paying 80 Euros per ride. I was alone! it's kinda awkward to have a solo ride on gondola, moreover if I spent that amount of money just for an eccentric ride, I would not find a way to be back home, lol.


Beautiful Gondolas.

Coming back is for sure, with my future wife on the gondola this time! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment